A few days ago, Microsoft has released Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 Update. Now you can explore the latest build 8773 Windows Phone OS on the emulator at your home.
One of the most interesting features of Tango is that supporting ‘budget’ phone. Both 1st and 2nd gen Windows Phones have approx 512MB RAM, but Tango adds to support for 256MB phone.
The following screenshots of Windows Phone Emulator show differences between 512MB phone and 256MB phone.
On About screen, you can confirm the version number of the ROM, 7.10.8773.98. It also describes limitations of 256MB phone, app selection and features may be limited.
Upload pictures to SkyDrive automatically
One of the interesting relationships between Windows Phone and SkyDrive is uploading pictures to SkyDrive automatically. Unfortunately, 256MB phone doesn’t support it, so there is no switch about the feature in Pictures+Camera settings.
While Local Scout is an important weapon for Microsoft people working for “Smoked by Windows Phone”, 256MB phone doesn’t support it. There is no Local Scout button in Bing search page on 256MB phone.
Local Scout is available only in United States and United Kingdom, so if you aren’t logging in your phone with those countries’ Live ID, it will have no impact on you.
High memory usage apps
Microsoft has announced that 95% of apps on the Marketplace work fine on 256MB phone, but the rest 5% may have problem because of high memory usage.
When you open the page of those 5% apps on Marketplace Hub with 256MB phone, you should see a description about the limitaton.
When you touch ‘Tap here for more info’ area at right-above screen, it shows more detail.
256MB phone has limitation about podcast related features. I didn’t know the detail, but when I opened the video podcast “Windows Weekly” on 256MB emulator, I received an error message. In contrast, it works fine on 512MB phone.
In addition, Tango has more interesting features. You will be able to choose asian languages, Malay and Indonesian as display language.
MMS is also updated. It allows you to attach multiple pictures in a MMS message.
Tango is mainly for budget phone, so power users have to wait until Tango II coming with NFC or more unannounced features.